The past month the so called Carnival fever reached it’s peak point again. It’s that time of the year when the costumes of the most popular carnival groups on the island are shown, in anticipation of the grand carnival parade in 2018.
Beautiful people show off their bodies in mostly revealing, sparkly and tight costumes. Everybody is excited and taking pictures in order to decide which costume is the one to go for.
And right after those euphoric moments…
BAM! Reality hits. Hard!
“How the h*ll am I going to fit in that tight-sparkly-revealing piece of fabric!”
A lot of nervous faces, frowned foreheads and sweaty palms. Some of them already having nightmare scenarios in their head, imagining themselves struggling to get into their costumes and bursting out of their costume during the parade.
“Oh My God! 20 weeks to lose 10, no wait…15, no no seriously…20 kilos.”
Wait…what? I have to give up my measurements in a month!
And the panic kicks in again…
Relax! Living a conscious and healthy lifestyle has a lot to do with self love and acceptance of your reality. Don’t let circumstances determine your body image and the way you take care of your body. If you want to feel comfortable with your body, you have to give it the proper care.
It starts with awareness and self reflection. How are you treating your body at this right moment? Why has this particular event suddenly triggered your self-image and confidence?
Instead of thinking how you are supposed to look in a few months, think how you want to feel in your skin when you’re strutting those streets. That feeling has way more to do with the way you treat yourself than the size of your waist, behind or thighs.
Obviously you need to put in the work to get where you want. Get your act together by making a personalized plan. Not a meal plan, but a plan where you incorporate new habits into your daily routine.
Everyone has a different routine, so you have to be willing to evaluate your current choices and start by swapping some of the old habits for new healthier ones. Make a list with two columns, one with the habits you know are not helping you and one with a healthier option.
A few examples:
- Swap an hour of watching your favorite series for an hour of walking or dancing with your favorite playlist on blast;
- Swap sugar with raw organic honey;
- Swap your salty food seasoning with fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, turmeric and a pinch of sea salt;
- Swap your juice or soda for a nice bottle of infused water with cucumber, mint, parsley or lemon;
- Swap frying your food with steaming;
- Swap cow milk for unsweetened almond milk;
- Swap an half hour of sunbathing at the beach with actually swimming a few laps.
Also very important:
- Compliment yourself daily on the changes you are making and compliment your friends too. Positivism is contagious; when you feel better, you do better.
- If you need help, get help! Nothing wrong with asking around, reading articles and looking for motivation on social media. Surround yourself with like minded people.
- “Comparison is the thief of joy”. Remember to stay true to your own journey.
- Don’t reward your progress with food, you’re not a dog. Instead buy a new set of fabulous fitness gear, a cookbook with healthy recipes, a new blender to make awesome smoothies or a nice massage to relax and recover.
It’s all about keeping the balance and incorporating small but effective changes into your daily routine! I hope to see you strutting those streets during the Carnival parade feeling comfortable in your skin and looking fantastic in your costume, no matter your size!
Lots of love,
Feel free to ask questions: email@example.com